Wednesday 13 May 2015

Practise Tips 1

The most common question I get asked from guitarists is 'what should I be practising'. While there is no one answer to this question given each persons individual needs, there are some things I can offer that might help. I will do a series of blogs covering some ideas to try.

A big part of my practise involves playing along to recordings. Often when I speak with people I ask them if this is what they do, and usually they do not. For me, when I play along to recordings my goal is to match the timing as accurately as possible and the sound/tone. I want to absorb the feel, so to speak.

Here are a few tracks that I regularly play along to (click on the title to link to the tune). Some of these might be a surprise given that I primarily do Jazz and Blues gigs.

1. Rock With You - Michael Jackson. 

2. Rugged Road - Robben Ford. 

3. Josie - Steely Dan.

4. Chank - John Scofield.

5. Steve Vai - Fire Garden Suite (first tune).

... and one of my favourite things to do is to play along to solo drums. One of my favourite drummers to play along with is Keith Carlock. Check out this clip, it's a great example of his playing. Keith has a groove that I love and try to absorb. Another couple of favourite drummers are Bernard Purdie and Steve Gadd.

I save these tracks as a hidden playlist on Youtube then when I practise it plays from beginning to end without interrupting. This is just the beginning of my list, there are plenty more ranging from easy to difficult.

Any thoughts or things I have missed let me know? 





Keep in touch:

... and you can download my latest album from:  nickgranville.bandcamp.com/album/home

No comments:

Post a Comment