Saturday 22 March 2014

The music books that had the most significance influence on my musical development

1. The Advancing Guitarist - By Mick Goodrick. This book is a gem. Mick Goodrick has taught many great players including Pat Metheny, John Scofield and Mike Stern and continues to teach at the Berklee School of Music. This book is not a method book, rather designed to inspire practise and potentially change the way musicians think about practise and music. Yes, it is a guitar book but I would recommend it to any instrumentalist as a considerable amount of the information is universal. 

2. Effortless Mastery - By Kenny Werner. This book was an eye opener for me. This book is a documentation of Kenny's approaches to learning and music. I have owned three copies of this book over the years and each have been loaned to people who did not returned it. I guess that speaks volumes about how great this book is. A must for all serious musicians. 

3. Total Guitar Magazine - multiple contributors. Thats right,  not one book but a magazine. For a while I subscribed to this magazine and would religiously learn to play everything contained in the magazines. This meant I learnt a broad range of musical styles and approaches as often the contributors to these magazines are a cross section of musicians. Also, I learnt a lot about the equipment used by the professionals via this magazine. Now days I really like Premier Guitar Magazine among others and try to learn as many things as I can from this - both lessons and about gear etc. 

4. The Encyclopaedia of Reading Rhythms - By Gary Hess. Many years ago during my studies at music school I was introduced to a book of etudes designed for drummers by Joel Rothman. It was designed to teach you rhythm via snare drum playing (I clapped) of rhythms and learning to read. I found this book useful. I was discussing this book with Lance Philip (excellent Wellington drummer & educator) as I had lost my copy and he mentioned the Encyclopaedia of Reading Rhythms book as a similar resource. I checked it out and found this to be exactly what I wanted and quite frankly a better book than the one I had. I worked on this book extensively, and continue to when I get the time. It is well organised and I really like the check lists. 

5. 14 Jazz and Funk Etudes - By Bob Mintzer. This book is a collection of tunes with solos and a play-along by saxophonist Bob Mintzer. It is available for most instruments. The thing I love about this book is the solos contain a lot of jazz vocabulary and the playalong CD is of a very high standard - featuring jazz greats. Many of the tunes are jazz standards or classic styles (such as blues, funk etc) so are useful for practising anything else that you might be working on in addition to the material presented in the book. Much of the material in this book is difficult but there are easier editions that are similar to this book. 

6. A Modern Method for Guitar - By William Leavitt. I have found this book invaluable for teaching. Many times when students come for a masterclass lesson I ask them what they work on. Often they mention this book as a good on to work on their reading. This is only part of what this book is good for. It has lots of scale, arpeggios, rhythm guitar stuff and more and is laid out in a logical way. 

                                                                            Keep in touch:
... and you can download my latest album from:  nickgranville.bandcamp.com/album/home
    



No comments:

Post a Comment